I have a huge library of paddling books, most are whitewater books, but I am going to consult them to find the kid friendly places to paddle.
- “Maryland and Delaware Canoe Trails: A Paddler’s Guide to Rivers of the Old Line and First States ” by Edward Gertler, This is out of print, but you can get it used off of Amazon. I cannot say enough good things about this book, if you have a child and you want to paddle in Maryland, this is the book to buy. Ed has the best maps of rivers which includes access points and information about different runs. Just get it from a seller on Amazon.
- “Exploring Flatwater, Eastern Maryland and Delaware“, by Ed White (2001). This book is out of print, but is available from Amazon used. I just got my copy, so I haven’t really used it yet.
- “Hiking, Cycling, and Canoeing in Maryland: A Family Guide“, by Bryan MacKay (1995 and 2008). The 2008 edition is in print, the 1995 edition is out of print. You can get both on Amazon. Right now I just have the 1995 edition, but might upgrade if I like it.
- “Keystone Canoeing: A Guide to Canoeable Water of Eastern Pennsylvania” by Ed Gertler. This is also out of print, but still available used.
- “Garden State Canoeing: A Paddlers Guide to New Jersey”, by Ed Gertler. (1992, 2002). Out of print, but still available.
- “Canoeing the Jersey Pine Barrens”, by Robert Parnes. Out of print, but still available used.
- “Virginia whitewater: A paddler’s guide to the rivers of Virginia“, by H. Roger Corbett. Another out of print book, available used.
- “Classic Virginia rivers: A paddler’s guide to premier whitewater and scenic float trips in the Old Dominion“, by Ed Grove. Out of print, available used.
- “Capital Canoeing and Kayaking: A Complete Guide to Whitewater Streams within about Two Hours of Washington DC“, by Stephen Ettinger. This book was just published, and I haven’t had it for very long and have not had much of a chance to review it.
- “Canoeing white water: river guide;: Virginia, eastern West Viriginia, North Carolina, Great Smoky Mountain area; canoeing, fishing, camping, float trips“, By Randy Carter. Out of Print, available used.
I probably have another dozen books on whitewater paddling, which I don’t see on Amazon, so maybe if I get motivated I will get them and post the title and author another time.